Father who won't do his will

Steele

• VIP Level 1

I have a situation. Wondering if anyone else has dealt with this. I have a father who won't do his will. I feel like i'm living under an avalanche about to crush. Advice welcomed

• Like 4

• VIP Level 1

If he hates taxes remind him that if he dies intestate more of his estate will end up going to the government. Also mention that when he dies you will have enough personal problems dealing with the grief of his passing without adding the enormous amount of extra bullshit involved when someone dies intestate. If he trusts his executor the smart thing to do is to make the executor a co-owner with right of survivorship on of his Investments and property now while he is still alive. That way when he passes there will essentially be no estate. All the executor has to do is go around to the various institutions and property registries with a copy of the death certificate and have all of the property transferred into their name. That way there are no estate taxes or probate fees. It certainly made my life a lot easier.

• Like 7

• VIP Level 1

Right, my next step is to call his estate attorney for advice, is that correct.

• Like 1

• VIP Level 1

For the record, my dad's an asshole, no dealing with him.

• Like 1

• VIP Level 1
3 minutes ago, Steele said:

For the record, my dad's an asshole, no dealing with him.

If that's the case then you might want to spend an hour talking to a lawyer to find out what it would cost to deal with his estate if he dies without a will. If that amount is greater than the value of the estate you can just walk away from the whole thing. There is no law requiring you to deal with a dead parents estate.

• Like 2

• VIP Level 1

The problem is he has a wife, who is deep into vegetable-ism, it that's a word, which I know it is not. Right. So here's the situation, when my dad dies i inherit an invalid. And his old will sends  all our family wealth to her. And her only child is a sex-change from fem to male. No joke.

• Like 1

• VIP Level 1
20 minutes ago, Steele said:

I have a situation. Wondering if anyone else has dealt with this. I have a father who won't do his will. I feel like i'm living under an avalanche about to crush. Advice welcomed

Depends on many factors... health, money, home, other siblings, etc.

• Like 1

• VIP Level 1

Doodar you were the first person to member-mark me on the old site.

• Like 3

• VIP Level 1

What sucks is it feels like my dad doesn't care about me. But the thing to do is call the estate attorney, is that correct.

• Like 3

• VIP Level 1
1 minute ago, Steele said:

What sucks is it feels like my dad doesn't care about me. But the thing to do is call the estate attorney, is that correct.

I can draw a will up on a Napkin and thats about what its worth.    You are correct to contact an Estate Attorney.

• Like 1

• VIP Level 1

Right. So I'm dealing with this shit, and probably some o f you have before, so thanks for advice.

• Like 3

• VIP Level 1

I have an urge to tell my dad he's an asshole to his face.

• Like 2

• VIP Level 1

Be excellent to each other... and... party on, dudes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• LR Member

Try getting closer to your dad until you can have a better conversation about it. 2 weeks ago I called my dad for the first time in 6-7 years. Never too late to make things better.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• VIP Level 1

Kasper I keep trying to take you seriously then I see your avatar.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• VIP Level 1

Maybe a dog's butt in my face is the reality check I need right now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• VIP Level 1

Life doesn't seem so bad once you've been Kaspered

• Like 2

• VIP Level 1

With a will HE determines where his stuff will go. Without one the GOVERNMENT determines where it goes and to whom and how much.

Wills state in writing you're going to die and some don't want to face that eventuality but it's out there counting down for each and everyone of us. If he wouldn't want 'the government' deciding what he eats or where he lives or what time he goes to bed why would he allow the government to disperse all he owns?

A will is essential worthless until you die but then becomes EVERYTHING after you do.

• Like 2